Bring your talents and learn a ton at The Soap Factory
Internships at The Soap Factory are a terrific way to explore working at a nonprofit art gallery. Every year we engage over 20 interns who work closely with our staff, board members, and exhibiting artists.
What you need to know
- All internships at The Soap Factory are unpaid.
- We do not adhere to a traditional semester-based schedule for internships at The Soap Factory. Internships are added periodically throughout the year, and details for each internship will be posted approximately one month before the application deadline.
- Each internship requires a resume and cover letter from the applicant. A cover letter highlights your skills and experiences to emphasize why you are a good fit for a particular internship. If you plan to apply for multiple internships, please submit a separate application for each position. No paper applications are accepted; all internship materials must be submitted via email.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Details of internship roles and desired qualifications will be posted throughout the year — please wait for these postings before applying.
THE SOAP FACTORY’S 2016 INTERNSHIPS
Gallery Assistant Internship
Deadline to apply: October 28th, 2016 at 11:00pm
Internship Start Date: November 12th, 2016
Internship End Date: December 18th, 2016
- Approximately 5-10 hours per week, on average
- Must have some regular availability during gallery hours (Weds, Thurs, Fri 1-7pm & Sun 12-5pm) and for events taking place on weekday nights & weekends
The Soap Factory’s Gallery Assistant Interns will work as a team to provide vital support to the gallery. Each intern assists with staffing the gallery’s front desk during gallery hours and special program events. The Gallery Assistant Interns will promote and provide administrative support to The Soap Factory’s membership program during open hours. They will provide exceptional customer service to gallery visitors and help build an enthusiastic, loyal gallery audience. This internship is a great way to learn how a non-profit art gallery works and what it means to be a leading example of an experimental space supporting the arts. This is an ongoing Internship, there are 4 positions that will be filled at all times, but the Internship may end at different intervals and new Interns introduced during different times. Your duration of Internship will be decided when discussed with the Program Manager of Exhibitions after being hired on.
- Work directly with The Soap Factory’s Marketing and Outreach Coordinator and the Gallery Director.
- Staff The Soap Factory’s front desk during gallery hours and during special program events
- Maintain membership and audience databases
- Learn about the artwork in the exhibition and be able to answer questions about the current exhibition.
- Provide exceptional customer service to gallery visitors and by phone during gallery hours
- Supervise exhibitions during public gallery hours assuring the safety of artwork
- Maintain and review exhibition informational materials to support the understanding of our visitors
Experience and Requirements: Candidates must be detail oriented, possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A well qualified candidate will be enthusiastic about Contemporary Art, self motivated and a creative problem solver. Must have reliable daily internet/ email access.
Software: Database experience, MS word and excel, Mac OS, Google Drive and Calendar. Must have reliable daily internet/ email access.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume by October 28th at 11:00pm to Joni Van Bockel, Marketing and Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com.
Installation Internship: Submissions Show
Deadline to apply: October 1, 2016
Internship Start Date: November 1, 2016
Internship End Date: November 12, 2016
The Soap Factory is seeking qualified and passionate individuals to serve as Installation Interns for our upcoming Submissions Shows, opening November 12th. The Installation Interns will provide valuable assistance during the planning and installation of this exhibition. This is a group show of 12 artists from around the United States. The work in our the 2016 Submissions Show includes sculpture, video, painting, ceramic, and performance.
This Installation Internship is an opportunity to explore the complex nature of installing a group exhibition in an unique gallery space. The Soap Factory is the Midwest’s premier laboratory for emerging contemporary art with 12,000 sq ft of exhibition space. We pride ourselves on pushing boundaries and encouraging artists to take risks in their practice. Located in a 130-year-old wood and brick factory space, The Soap Factory offers artists and interns alike an exciting challenge with each new project.
• 2 weeks leading up to exhibition opening approximately 20 hours per week
• 1 week following the exhibition’s close approximately 25 hours
• Busier times are highlighted above, throughout the rest of the installation internship, interns should anticipate an average of 2 hours per week
• Building and fabrication of artwork including basic carpentry
• Assistance with shipping & receiving artwork
• Maintenance support in preparation of the gallery space and materials
• Assistance with gallery lighting and didactic materials
• Assistance during installation period in November
• Building inside of the gallery space requiring use of power tools and some heavy lifting
• Problem solving installation techniques prior to and during installation period
• Cleaning and maintenance of art installations during the run of the Submissions Shows
• Removal of installation after the exhibition closes
Experience and Requirements:
Some basic construction, assembly or power tool experience is required. Some heavy lifting required (must be comfortable lifting 40 lbs). A keen attention to detail, good communication skills and strong work ethic are paramount. Experience with process-based work is a plus. Must have reliable daily email and phone access.
Skills & equipment used:
Drills, saws, ladders, track lighting, and other basic shop equipment.
Please send a cover letter and resume by deadline to Joni Van Bockel, Marketing and Outreach Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.